Saturday, March 29, 2008

Our Own Hummingbird


My own hummingbird. Only ten feet from my window/sliding door I have a hummingbird incubating two eggs on a branch that sways up and down with the gentlest of winds. Aren't these birds supposed to build nests in more concealed areas? This nest is somewhat hidden. I didn't notice it right away but once you know where it is it is impossible not to notice it again. It is my guess that the nest is fairly new and that in two weeks or so we will have two new hummingbirds. Let's watch and see.
btw, i want to mention that this nest is only slightly bigger than a golf ball and the eggs were pretty much invisible to me until i got up close and snapped off this photo. I'm lucky the photo came out since I had to do it quickly in order to go unnoticed by the hummingbird who had gone off to get food (about every ten minutes).

No comments: